**SPOILERS!** Really, if you haven't seen New Moon yet there is a problem. You are obsessed enough to visit our little blog about nothing but Twilight crap??? Then you should have seen the movie by now...if you haven't and don't want anything spoiled...look away now...you've been warned!
OK...so was November 19th-20th as good for you as it was for us? We are still walking around in a daze. Yes, Thursday, November 19th has been marked on our calendars (in RED sharpie) since the date was announced earlier this year. Karen, myself, and our friend Shawnna all decided it was a holiday and took the day off work (luckily we are all self-employed, so no boss-type person could say no!) So the three of us, along with my oldest daughter and our VIP guest (Pocket Edward of course!) heading out about noon. Well, we planned to head out around noon, but you know how PE is about his hair. He kept going on and on about everyone expecting the bouffant to be perfect...he is THE TALENT after all...so we actually left our houses around 1pm. We then proceeded to drive about 45 minutes to a neighboring town that has much nicer movie theatres than ours does. Now mind you, on most occasions, for MOST movies...I find our local cinema to be adequate. Its close....its pretty cheap comparatively...and while not wonderfully clean and beautiful, its not hideous. It just looks like a few teenagers run it...hell, they probably do... But no, we bought our tickets (months in advance, natch) to a much nicer place with huge stadium seating, top quality HD pictures, and a REAL cleaning crew. Nothing is too good for PE after all.
So we arrive at our destination to pick up our pre-purchased tickets and discover that at the last minute our theatre has decided to add Twilight at 9pm as a double feature...and if you buy those tickets also you can just stay in your seat for New Moon. Well, PE loved that idea...an extra 2 hours of him...and less time squatting on the marble lobby floors in line. SCORE!
As no one was lining up quite yet, we all decided to eat some yummy yummy fajitas at Pappasitos...and we didn't protest when PE suggested a margarita either! Just one! No tipsy time when we have a movie to obsess over! And if we are all going to feel a little embarrassed by our custom designed, New Moon themed, swarovski crystal encrusted Tshirts...we might as well make it complete...SO, we went over to the mall and had our pictures taken with Santa. He didn't seem to mind that four women wanted to sit in his lap and hug up to him at all...imagine that. The only thing that made me feel just awful was that in our haste...we forgot PE! How could we??? He wouldn't speak to us for hours.
So this post just seems to be growing exponentially! SORRY...for the sake of brevity...we got in line at about 5pm...by 8pm they had us seated...we watched Twilight ( was great to see it on the big screen again!)...had a brief intermission...and the audience fell silent....
A few romantic movie previews came up, most notably was the trailer for Remember Me...with RPattz...wow...had no interest when I first heard about it, but now I can't wait to see it. Then...finally...the summit logo appears...wearing its "new moon" colored garb...no blue tints this time..not even on their name! Then a moon slowly appears...and the audience erupted into applause.
So what did we think of the movie? We loved it. We've actually already seen it again, and plan on going a third time on Thanksgiving. It is not perfect. It does not deserve an Oscar. Some things bugged me...but I did love it. This is amazing considering it is my least favorite book. I am a complete TEAM EDWARD girl....so this book killed me. In fact my shirt read "I survived over 300 pages without Edward...I can do anything." But....I loved it. Karen loved it. Shawnna loved it. Kayla loved it. Here is a breakdown of what we loved about it:
1. KStew has mad skills. No more crazy stuttering and eye blinking like in Twilight. She was Bella. I believed her. She loves Edward with every fiber of her being. She dies when he leaves her. She adores Jake...wants and tries to be what he wants of her...what she knows is best for her...but can't. She risks anything and everything to save Edward. I just believed her.
2.Edward is hot. Seriously.... ok so he looks way too old to be in high school....and the contacts were a little overdone, no one could look at those eyes and think "human"...much less that the whole family possesses the same eyes though they are supposed to be unrelated. Oh yea...his clothes kinda sucked...but WHO CARES! He is total eye candy. At least he doesn't make me feel guilty either because he does look like an adult. The 50-ish year old lady next to me was dying over Taylor Lautner! Really? Lady he could be your grandson! He is CHILD...a freakishly muscled child...but a CHILD !!!
3. I'll admit it though...child or not...Taylor did a great job as Jacob. Just as with Bella...I believed. I'm not even a little teeny weeny bit Team Jacob...but he was very convincing in his role and I was happily surprised by this. In the first one I kept thinking there was no way he could pull of a believable chemistry with Kristen..but he did. The seemed to genuinely like each other. Not heat, like with Rob, but good warmth.
4. The production values were so much better. This felt like a REAL movie, not some indie shot with my Mom's camcorder.
5. Everyone's acting was better than in Twilight...some even exceptionally so. And the humor they interjected was great.
6. The warm coloring was beautiful...never a fan of that blue tint.
7. The music rocks...it was perfect...
8. The breakup was heart wrenching. I cried...and I never cry in movies. Shawnna and Karen cried too. Harder when we saw her in a near comatose state after he was gone than even during the initial leaving. And when you see her alone at their table...*sniffle* As much as I hated her screaming nightmares in the trailer...in the movie they worked.
9. The action was much better. Loved the fight in the volturi lair. Poor Ed!...hated it for him...but loved when his face literally cracked. Awesome detail I never imagined.
10. The proposal...sigh....perfect perfect way to end it...
Okay..so as previously stated...I do have a few problems with the movie too.
1. Wardrobe...already mentioned Ed's old man clothes...but Alice? Really? THAT is high fashion? I love fashion police, project runway, the Style network....I know Dolce and Gabana, Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, etc etc etc...and that crap was NOT fashion forward. Where was my Alice's real wardrobe?! Edgy and high end...tres chic....NOT! They made a beautiful girl look crappy. Bella outshone her in every scene together. And Alice's acting is a little grating too...just sayin'....
2. The wolfpack...ugh...Taylor was a good Jacob, but those other guys...not so much. Especially Sam Uley...not at all what I pictures...not a great actor and not great looking either. The rest of the pack, minus Paul, looked like little boys too...and not with the great bods we expected. Didn't bother me too bad though since I am so NOT a dog person anyway.
3. When Sam did his cliff diving scene it was cringe-worthy. WTH...that CGI scene sucked bad. An animated scene would have looked more realistic. Bella's jump wasn't awesome, but it was way better than Sam's.
4. The big wolves were pretty good...but not quite as ferocious looking as I would have liked.
5. ok...so when Bella runs through the fountain and jumps up against Edward...where was the kiss? We all saw it when they shot the scene over and over in Italy last May...Where was the big reunion kiss????? Even if I was still under the illusion he didn't want me...I would have jumped up and planted one on him when I finally saw him again after feeling dead for so many months!! That kiss was so good too! Why oh why did they cut it?? Instead they have to go inside..talk it all out...and then finally kiss...and not nearly as hot as the other kiss was! UGH!!! He's gone the whole middle of the movie! Give us a reunion worth cheering over!!!
6. OMG...the vision...Really? You finally get turned into a beautiful vampire and you decide to wear a Jessica McClintock prom dress from the 80's? They looked like they stepped out of Little House on the Praire or something. And lets be honest...RPattz can't run. He looks almost handicapped. Why couldn't we see a close up of him...looking at her and then when she turns...and we see a close up of her golden ( or red if you prefer) eyes and sparkly skin...looking beautiful and dangerous. See...they should hire me as a consult on these movies...I'd work for free...
Okay...this post was way too long and I am exhausted! MUST SLEEP! going on a kindergarten field trip tomorrow with my youngest..ugh...but hope you liked my lengthy opinions...send me yours!!!